September 28 Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion forms part of the campaign activities undertaken by International Campaign for Women’s Right to Safe Abortion, that aims to build an international movement to promote universal access to safe, legal abortion as a women’s health and human rights issue. As part of the International Campaign Advisory Group, Women’s Global Network for Reproductive Rights leads the coordination of September 28 annual campaigning activities, conducted by Campaign and WGNRR members, as well as allies and partners around the world, including ASTRA Network.
September 28 has been a regional campaign for decriminalisation of abortion in Latin America and Caribbean for nearly twenty years before being taken on by SRHR activists all over the world as a Global Day of Action for Access to Safe and Legal Abortion in 2011.
While in the past few years we used a broad approach in developing the Call for Action for September 28, focusing on access to safe and
legal abortion in general, this year it was agreed to specifically focus on addressing abortion stigma as one of the main obstacles towards
ensuring the availability and accessibility of comprehensive abortion services.
There are several ways to become involved.
1. Join the September 28 Global Tweet-a-thon!
2. Speak out against #AbortionStigma through the September 28 Virtual Mural 2.0.
3. Sign up for the September 28 Thunderclap and click SUPPORT
4. Endorse the September 28 Manifesto
5. Organize a happening, street/awareness raising action, public hearing or anything other related to the issue of access to safe and legal abortion and abortion stigma. All events, can be submitted directly to WGNRR here.
Federation for Women and Family, Polish ASTRA member, contributed to the September 28 virtual mural by creating a short film on abortion stigma, please see it on You Tube HERE. Macedonian member organization, H.E.R.A., is planning to host a press conference on 28th September with an objective to promote the new national gender platform with special focus on abortion rights that has been recently created. All actions to be held on or around this day can be viewed HERE.